Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Quinoalicious Casserole {Vegetarian}

Casseroles are a wonderful thing for busy moms. They are almost as handy as crockpots. It is nice to put things together in the morning and then heat right before dinner. It is fantastic to feed the family from one dish then add a little side salad and ta-da dinner is served! That said, casseroles are something I have missed as a vegetarian. The only casseroles I knew how to make before consisted of some kind of meat, with some kind of cream-o-something, with some kind of pasta or rice. Once I decided not to cook with meat and canned creams my casseroling went out the window. I decided it was time to reclaim casseroles for my vegetarian self (and friends :0) I took a recipe from my friend Kindee and tweaked it. I am happy to report that it was absolutely delightful. I hope you enjoy this Quinoalicious casserole on a busy day!

Quinoalicious Casserole

3 Cups Dried Quinoa - Soak for at least 20 minutes then rinse
1 TBS Better Than Bullion Vegetable Broth (or 4 cups of your favorite vegetable broth)
1 can Rotel Tomatoes
1 1/2 TB Cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 onion
1 green pepper
2 garlic cloves pressed or minced
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped, 1/4-1/3 cup
2 cans black beans
1 small can sliced olives
2-3 cups frozen corn
8 oz block of pepper jack cheese


1. Placed soaked and rinsed quinoa in pot with 4 cups water, BTB Vegetable Broth (or just use 4 cups of vegetable broth instead of the water and BTB Vegetable Broth mix) and Rotell Tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to really low and simmer uncovered.

2. While quinoa is simmering, dice onion, pepper, and garlic.

3. Place chopped onion, pepper and garlic in a saute pan with a little olive oil. Saute until onions are translucent.

4. Add sauteed onion, pepper, garlic, most of cilantro, salt, pepper, and cumin to simmering quinoa. Cook quinoa until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add corn, beans
and 3/4 of shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted and it is a little gummy.

5. Place in casserole dish and place remaining cheese and cilantro on top.
Bake at 350 until cheese is desired meltedness.

***Make this vegan by simply leaving out the cheese. That was easy.

Top with Suped up Guacamole, add a nice side salad or a baked sweet potato, and bask in the savory quinoaliciousness of this casserole!

*Dear Beloved Readers of The Vegetarian Tree,

Did you like this post? Do you have a comment or question? Let us know! Comments help us know what you want to read about. Don't be shy, we want to hear from you! Also, if you like this post share it with your friends using the sharing toolbar at the bottom of the post!

LOVE - Amy & Ronda*

4 comments:

Sally said...

I actually never make casseroles because I don't like creamed soups, but something like this I could do. Really, anything with cilantro and Rotel in it is a keeper in my book.

Luella said...

Looks delicious! I tried the Thai Wraps last week and they were great, so I'm excited to try this too. Thanks for your great recipes!

Anna-Kare said...

I made this for my family and they won't stop talking about it! They are making me promise to make it again. And I had to laugh when my son and his date grabbed some for a quick leftover dinner.....and those leftovers were several days old and they still raved about it!!! I did make one adjustment to the recipe. That seemed like a lot of cumin to me so I put in a half tablespoon of it and it was plenty for us. I may even cut back a little bit more. It was a bit spicy for my two little granddaughters. This recipe also made a very large amount for our family so I may cut it in half and go without the leftovers (although my husband has also been choosing it for breakfast). Anyway, a huge hit at our house!

Unknown said...

this is AWESOME! dave said this was an A++
Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...