Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

California Quinoa Salad

Two summers ago my children and I had the wonderful experience of spending a month of our summer with my dear friend, Sarah, in Riverside, California. Her husband was on the road with his work. Mine was in school and working full time. Sarah and I took advantage of the lack of husbands and took on the care and feeding of six children together. It was a month full of trips to the beaches, mountains, and deserts of southern California. While we were on the go alot, a favorite destination for me was our trips to the farmer's market each week. Everything was bursting with fresh amazing flavor. I felt like a greedy kid on Christmas morning. I wasn't able to stop and enjoy one purchase. I was too busy rushing to the next stand to see what was there. I came home each trip with mounds of beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables. The blueberries were especially amazing, and I had to find something perfect for them. This is how my California Quinoa Salad was born. It made it's red, white, and blue debut on the fourth of July for our dinner by the backyard pool while fireworks lit up the night. I hope you can find a time that will be as memorable to share it with friends and family members. I will warn you even without emotional ties it is addicting. Don't come crying to me when all you want to eat is Quinoa and blueberries.

California Quinoa Salad
1 1/2 cups Quinoa soaked/drained/cooked
4 Tbs Rice Vinegar
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 dropper fulls of liquid stevia, or 2 tsp powdered stevia, or 2 tsp agave, or other sweetner of choice
1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green onions (or red onions if that is what you have)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (or cashews are great too)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In small bowl mix together vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and sweetner of choice

In large bowl, combine quinoa, blueberries, craisins, celery, onions, almonds, and cilantro. Pour dressing over and combine well. Make early and refrigerate for that perfect chilled taste on a hot summer day, or dig right in warm. You will love it either way. If you feel like sneaking in some more yummy vegetables go for it. I have added, cucumbers and peppers before with much success. If you add more quinoa just keep making more dressing to cover it nicely.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...