Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Traveling Food

I have been on the road for the greater part of the summer. It has been wonderful visiting family and friends. We have had picnics, road trips, and celebrations. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up a vegetarian lifestyle when you are out of your environment, eating traditionally with family, or on the road. I would like to offer up some of the things I have done this summer for these different situations.

On the Road/Picnics
I notice when we are on long car trips or even just packing lunch to the park I have a few favorite go to foods. They are not rocket science and don't even require "cooking", but they get us out the door and on with our adventures.

Pre-washed and sliced fruit. Grapes, apples, and "baby" oranges are our favorites. When I am on the road I make each child a lunch sack with baggies of each and let them ration them out for the day.

Peeled and sliced carrots, sugar snap peas, cut up broccoli and cauliflower. When these are washed and kept close at hand you will be surprised how much of them you mindlessly eat while driving for hours. When they are kept close to your favorite hummus (mine being Trader Joe's three layered hummus) they are a special treat.

Bagels are a big hit for our on the go days. We like to buy the honey whole wheat bagels in a two pack at Cost-Co. They don't crumble as much as bread and you never have to hear about crusts from a picky child. When these bagels are pre-sliced at home they are ready for what you might want to add on the road. It can be as simple as Peanut butter and jam, or a bit richer with a chunk of your favorite cheese with lettuce and mayo. We also like hummus and greens. If I am on my game I will have sliced cucumbers and tomatoes and then we are talking yummy goodness.

Keeping a good salsa in the cooler adds to the cheese chunks and can round out the meal with a nice tortilla chip.

Another nice filler for road trips is a big brown grocery bag full of popcorn. The downside is popcorn on the floor and seats when you get our of the car. The upside is an inexpensive fiber full filler.

Our special picnic lunches are topped off with sparkling water. Trader Joe's has lots of varieties in nice plastic bottles,so no worries about glass breaking while you go.

Family Gatherings/Holidays

Of course picnics can be supplemented with yummy left overs from family gatherings and holidays. The leftovers most frequently found in my fridge this summer are different salads. I can't get enough of Amy's Thai wraps. I have made them pretty much once weekly since I tried them in the spring. I don't even worry about tortillas or lettuce to wrap them in. I eat them straight from the bowl like cole slaw. I am almost always good for some California Quinoa Salad. The light fruity flavor is up my alley breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was also a fourth of July go to with it's red, white, and blue colors. My sister Cherie has graced us with some amazing fruit salads. These feature fresh pineapple and lots of melon. They do double duty with a great addition to any meal and a ready to use green smoothie filler in the morning! When corn on the cob season arrives (which is quick and long in Nebraska!) This Corn Salad is one of my favorite things to do with it.

Corn Salad-
3 ears of corn blanched and cut kernels off cob
1 can black beans
2 tomatoes diced
4 green onions chopped or 1/2 red onion diced
1 can water chestnuts chopped
1/2 bunch of Cilantro chopped
2 limes juiced
1 Tbl Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add more lime juice/salt and pepper to taste. My extended family enjoys this with tortilla chips.

I hope these ideas help with your traveling /picnic/holiday/family gathering situations. We would love to hear some of your favorite summer time picnic foods. I look forward to sharing more yummy recipes at the end of my travels this summer!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...