Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Oriental Orzo Salad {Vegan}

I had lunch with a friend last year and she served the YUMMIEST pasta salad EVER! I could not rest until I had the recipe and lucky for me (now that I'm not so into the meat eating) it is easily adaptable.

Oriental Orzo Salad


1 lb bag/box of Orzo, cooked according to package directions
1 package of super firm cubed tofu*, marinated in teriyaki sauce**
1 small can sliced water chestnuts, drained
3 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
Toasted almonds
Sugar snap peas (in a pinch I am happy to use regular old frozen peas - about a cup)

Combine the above ingredients in large serving bowl.

*If you're not sure about how to correctly prepare tofu. Please go HERE.

Dressing

½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar (you can use regular white vinegar in a pinch if you need to)
2 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce

(you can cut out some of the fat but cutting the olive oil in half and then adding an extra Tbsp or two of the other ingredients)

Combine well and pour over salad. Mix well until everything is coated and chill.

**My homemade Teriyaki Marinade:
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar - packed
1 1/4 cup water
4 cloves minced garlic
a few shakes of red pepper flakes (optional)
-and when I'm feeling fancy I'll throw in some canned pineapple with the juice.

Combine everything and whisk until sugar is dissolved (heating it can speed up this process).

1 comment:

Rachel Haack said...

Found you through Bloom! Hooray! I'm always looking for some tried and true vegetarian recipes...I'll be bookmarking your page for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...