Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Green Smoothies All Around: Week 2

Green Smoothies All Around: Mini Series, Week 2: Pineapple Green Smoothie

When I first took the plunge into the vegi life I was mostly excited to try all the wonderful things this diet offered, sea weed, kelp noodles, tofu and all the fruits and vegetables I'd always heard about but never had the courage to test. You did not find me running to the grocery store for ingredients to make green smoothies though...the thought of a green smoothie just really freaked me out. Vegetables should be eaten with vegetables and fruits with fruits...combining them, in my mind was just wrong.

After getting back in touch with Ronda and hearing her rave about how healthy and tasty green smoothies can be I decided to give them a try. I was so surprised that my first green smoothie (with Kale and Spinach) wasn't green and tasted like fruit! I soon started coming up with different varieties of green smothies. Green ones, purple ones - brown {chocolate} ones...the possibilities are endless!!!

During this green smoothie mini series we'll teach you the basics on how to do green smoothies at home and then give you some ideas to get you started. Feel free to play around - use what you have - and use what you LIKE :), but remember the geniusness behind the green smoothie is to eat things that you normally wouldn't eat or that you wouldn't eat enough of. Hence, the kale, collard green, chard, celery, ideas. When these green jewels are blended and hidden behind bananas, mangos, and strawberries it makes it easy to load up on them.

For Green Smoothies:
  • Use a blender. Even my {dumb} cheap blender does a good job on smoothies. I fill my blender with my *greens.

  • Add a little water, juice or milk (orange, carrot, apple, chocolate almond milk....whatever I feel like) and start blending.

  • Then I start adding fruit. Fresh or frozen it doesn't matter. Sometimes I have to help out my {dumb} blender by pushing everything down or adding a bit more liquid - you'll get the hang of it.

  • Once it's the way I like it I add in POWER BOOSTERS such as wheat germ, milled flax seed or chia seeds - all great for smoothies.
*I use, almost exclusively spinach or kale in my green smoothies. In my opinion they have the best nutrition content {both being serious super-foods} and I like these flavors the best. Other great options would consist of collard greens, chard or anything that is dark or rich in color. This works for me because we drink green smoothies 2-4 times a week. Ronda on the other hand has been making green smoothies for her and her entire family most days for the past year and half. In this case she keeps boxes of the organic spring mix from Costco on hand for smoothies. It contains 3 or four different kinds of greens. Then she mixes that with other greens like collard greens, chard, kale and spinach. If you are drinking green smoothies most days for an extended period of time it is important to try to shake it up. When you eat the same things over and over again your body can reach an overload point.

Pineapple Green Power Smoothie

Fill blender with fresh spinach or kale or a mixture of both (not packed - but filled)
1/3 fresh pineapple, cut up into large chunks
1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp milled flax seed (optional)
2 Tbsp raw wheat germ (optional)
water, to taste

1. Fill blender with greens. Add orange juice and start blending.
2. Add all the fruit and puree into a green smoothie.
3. Add seeds and or wheat germ if you want and then add water to get your desired consistency.

This makes about 3 tall glass servings.

DRINK UP and live LONG!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...