Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Herbed Tomato Power Sauce

Dinner kind of sneaked (if you think this is grammatically incorrect you're wrong. I googled it) up on my the other day. I kind of had to wing it. Freddy loves pasta and I had some white angel hair pasta that I wanted to use up but I still wanted dinner to be healthy. So I started throwing things in a soup pot and hoped for the best. What I came up with turned out to be a very healthy, hearty red sauce.

Herbed Tomato Power Sauce


1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, minced or shredded
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 shake dried red pepper flakes, more if you like spicy
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp basil, dried
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of sugar

1. Saute onion and garlic in a little oil, butter or vegetable broth until translucent. Add tomato paste and cook a few minutes longer, until slightly bubbly. Make sure to keep stirring to keep paste from burning.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil and then turn down heat and let it simmer down for at least 30 minutes but preferably more like 2-4 hours to all day (basically the longer you let it simmer - the better {in my opinion}).
*My husband and I love chunky sauce but the toddler no so much so I took the majority of the sauce and put it in the blender to smooth it out so you can do this if it is more fitting for your pallet.

Serve this over (preferably whole wheat) pasta with a salad and some yummy grilled bread. Grilled bread? Oh yes...more on that to come :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...