Mormon Moms for Vegetarian, Vegan and Raw Cooking!

This blog is intended to be a support for anyone who desires to make the vegetarian, vegan {and or} raw food diet change. Whether you want to drastically change to a completely raw diet or just add a few more vegetarian meals to your weekly menu, we are here for you! It doesn't matter who you are or why you want to make the change. We want to share our love, support, tips, testimonies and - recipes - to make your life easier, happier and healthier!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Kid Friendly {Vegan} Quesadilla's

And you will love these too!

I was in the middle of making dinner when my son asked me for a quesadilla. I'd only ever made him a quesadilla once and it was a while ago. He also sat in his chair for at least an hour not wanting to touch them, but the rule in my house is you sit there until you eat a fair amount of dinner. If you really don't like it you don't have to eat it all but you have to eat something and if you don't finish it - nothing else for the rest of the night. I'm a mean mom. After that time he picked it up and finished the whole thing and thought it was delicious but I was surprised he remembered how good they were rather than the fact that I made him sit there for an hour crying.

Anyway, I decided to make him a quesadilla since the dinner I was making would be a little hard for him to eat.

I came up with this filling and oh.my.gosh I wish I would have made these for my husband and I too! SO GOOD and very healthy. I seriously hoped my son wouldn't finish his dinner tonight.
OK, ready?

Kid Friendly {Vegan} Quesadillas

16 White corn tortillas (just use what you like - this is what I had on hand)
3/4 cup salty pinto beans, drained and pureed
3/4 cup brown lentils, drained
3 cups vegetable broth
salt, to taste
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 small yellow summer squash, finely diced

1. Rinse lentils, put them in a small pot with vegetable broth and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low and simmer for 45 min to an hour. You want the lentils to be pretty soft.
2. In the meantime, add onion and squash to a hot pan. Fry them up until slightly browned and tender. Remove from pan and wipe it clean.
3. Then add pinto beans to food processor or blender and puree. Add lentils to the puree and pulse until combined.
4. Assemble quesadillas by spreading bean mixture onto one side of each tortilla. Spoon squash and onion mixture onto every other tortilla and then top it off with the left over tortillas. Really squish them together.
5. Use cooking spray or brush each tortilla with a little oil. Place each tortilla in a hot pan until browned on each side. Cut into quarters and ENJOY!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...